**a post from the momThis is one of those weekends when I wonder if I know what I am doing and if I am doing this right (or should be doing it).
A friend had taken Goldfish about a week ago to help me run a social experiment - see if a change of environment would help her adjustment or social skills. She did....OK. However, she is still growling and scared and will not come forward seeking attention. My friend was headed out of town so I ended up picking her back up on Saturday morning. She put herself in a corner and hissed and spit at me and I had to put a towel over her head to catch her again. It's so frustrating. The problem is if we can't get her social, what are her options?
However, things kind of imploded later that night. Carling (the momma cat) figured out how to climb one of the cabinets in the foster room....and escaped. She cornered Chanel and was pretty ornery about it. Thankfully Chanel is so laid back that I was able to grab Carling. The problem is that if Carling could get out, I had to have another solution. She was still be pretty aggressive with the kittens as well.
I made a decision - I pulled Goldfish out of the crate and put Carling in it. Carling was pretty upset overnight, but she had dialed it back overnight. But there is no way I am going to let her out of the crate. I am going to call the clinic today and see about at least getting her into get her spayed. Hopefully it is a hormone thing....
The good news is after 24 hours in the crate, she is MUCH calmer. She does a little growling at Ivy and Daiquiri when they walk by the crate but nothing serious at all.
Here is the other problem - Goldfish is now in the foster room with the beer kittens. She isn't being overly polite either....she is considerably bigger and is kind of pushy. On to of that, a couple of the kittens are pretty friendly and the rest are a little jumpy. Having a growly mom and now a growly kitten isn't helping get them friendly.
It is just frustrating....I don't have an answer as to what to do about any of them and I don't know what the solution is to "fix" them. I'll move forward and figure it out, but it has been a long couple of days.